WorkSafe inspection declares Kings Square construction site safe

Information status

All announcements issued prior to 1 July 2017 were issued by the former Department of Commerce. Announcements listed here are the latest versions available, but may be subject to review. For more information on this announcement, please contact online@dmirs.wa.gov.au.

An inspection by WorkSafe of the Kings Square construction site has concluded the site is safe for workers and members of the public.

WorkSafe inspectors attended the site on October 8, 2015 following a report that a small amount of asbestos was found in a trench near the Horseshoe Bridge.

WorkSafe WA Commissioner Lex McCulloch said he was confident the site was safe for work to continue.

“Operators of the site organised for the removal of the asbestos in accordance with the strict guidelines in place that control the removal, transportation and disposal of asbestos found in the community,” Mr McCulloch said.

“As the site has previously been used for many purposes over many years, there is a very strict sampling and testing regime in place to ensure workers and members of the public are not exposed to any contaminants.

“Our inspectors have scrutinised the frequency and the results of testing of the samples during excavation of the site and WorkSafe is certain that that there is no current risk to the health or safety of workers on site or anyone who may live or work nearby.”

Further information on construction safety can be obtained by telephoning WorkSafe on 1300 307877 or visit the website at www.worksafe.wa.gov.au.

Media contact: Alan Hynd 6552 9248 or 0429 078 791 (media enquiries only), or email at alan.hynd@commerce.wa.gov.au

Follow @WorkSafeWA on Twitter

WorkSafe
Media release
09 Oct 2015

Share this page:

Last modified: